Friday, May 20, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stromboli

After taking it out of the Oven
This recipe was good! Comforting for sure and my little man loved it! I suppose it's a good way to sneak broccoli into your children's dinner! He couldn't get enough of the filling! I made this a lot more work than it needed to be. Feel free to buy precooked breast strips for the chicken it would cut the prep time in half if you used that. I thought I had some but didn't so I ended up cubing and cooking Boneless Skinless breast. It just added additional cook time, it's unnecessary unless you want to. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! I think this is definitely a recipe you could play with and fill with whatever you want! I was even thinking velveta cheese and cubed ham! It honestly taste like a giant Hot Pocket! LOL!! So get creative and play with the recipe.

Things you will need:
Pizza Dough
2 Boneless Skinless Breasts - Cubed into bite size pieces
2 Heads of Broccoli - Chopped and steams removed
2 Garlic Cloves Minced
3 Tbsp Butter Melted
1 Jar Alfredo sauce - If you want to make your own feel free
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese - Grated
Parmesan Cheese

Step One: Rolling out the dough - You can do a traditional calzone with this and just roll it out like a pizza, but I rolled it out in a huge rectangle so I could attempt to braid the dough! LOL! Attempt is the word I'm choosing to use! With the final product you really couldn't tell that it was braided so just the fold over will work just fine! In order to braid it once you have rolled it out into the shape of a rectangle cut slits down each side of the dough length wise, then move to a cookie sheet.

Step Two: Blanch your broccoli and cook your chicken. To blanch broccoli either steam or boil your broccoli for 3 minutes and then place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. You want your broccoli a little undercooked because it's going to continue to cook inside of your dough as well. So once you have imersed your broccoli in the ice water let it hang out for 2-3 minutes and than strain. Cook your chicken in pan over medium heat with a little olive oil. I seasoned my chicken with garlic salt, oregano, and pepper, but this is totally a preference thing so whatever you like on your chicken go ahead and throw it in! Once your chicken a browned and good to go we're ready to move on to step 3.

Step 3: I didn't want to create a layering effect so I put my chicken, broccoli, garlic, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and the Alfredo sauce in a large mixing bowl and mixed together. Once that was all mixed really well I spooned the filling into the center of the dough. I then took the top of the dough and folded it over the filling and then rotated the slits to create a braided effect I folded the bottom as well so there were holes or gaps. Like I said it really didn't show in the presentation and I probably did it wrong so if you want to just fold the dough over and use a fork to press it down go ahead!


Before I placed it in the Oven

Before I placed this in the oven I brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with garlic powder and parmesan cheese. I baked this at 400 for about 35-40 minutes. I wanted to make sure that the bottom of the crust was done. After I baked it I let it stand for 10 minutes prior to slicing so the cheese would set up and it would be easy to cut.

Finished Product
I am not good with Dough or baking so I was pretty proud of the end result! Try this recipe and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment